December 12, 2010

For the Holidays


This holiday season, I'm afraid I've got bad news for Santa...no gifts for me underneath the tree, since I've been naughty and neglected my dear blog for much too long! It's just not right and I'm ashamed. But, on the brink of a new year, my new resolution (although I hate to make promises that aren't so easy to keep, especially when "life" gets in the way), that I will update my blog more often.
Why haven't I been able to update it more regularly now that I am actually in the business of writing, publishing and all that jazz? Well, it's just that...when you do something as your job, 24/7, thinking and dreaming about it...well, you can't help but associate it with "work." I know, I know, that was a pretentious thing to say. Cause that's something I've heard musicians say. And yes, I know that I am not a rich and famous writer, actor, singer-songwriter or digital music mixer...but, if your days are constantly filled with thinking up interesting articles to write, publish or edit, and always writing, always editing and always thinking about words...
...What do you want to do when you come home, or in your spare time? Absolutely NOTHING to do with words. In my case, I choose Conan and the thousands of Hollywood movies that I would never pay to watch in the theatres, but instead rent to watch at home after a long day at work.
And what suffers? My blog. My source of communication with the rest of the world.
Well, not anymore! I'm going to be back on the horse, updating this baby until the cows come home, so keep your faith in me and stay tuned in 2011! And happy holidays to all of you and your loved ones. Thanks for following!

BUT WAIT! Before I'm off, I'd like to share a tidbit for the holiday season. A couple of years ago, my husband, Joe and I were walking down the constantly crowded and entertaining Istiklal Avenue in Istanbul, and we saw a man in a Santa outfit.
Why were we so shocked to see him? Since Turks don’t celebrate Christmas, New Year's has become the holiday of choice; a time to clink glasses with our loved ones, even a time to enjoy a turkey dinner, decorate the tree and open presents. But nowadays, since the world now deems Christmas and all the iconic imagery that comes along with it commercial rather than a part of the Christian faith, Santa and everything "Christmas" has been incorporated into the New Year's theme. Thus, Istanbul celebrates their version of Christmas, fully loaded with Christmas trees, Christmas lights, Christmas presents and of course, Christmas Santa on New Year's. So, when I saw Santa this year, standing in the same spot as before, I smiled.
What was he doing there? On New Years, the National Lottery Administration has a special New Years lottery. This year, the prize is 35 million lira. And who better to sell off these festive lottery tickets than…Turkish Santa himself. So, if you are hanging out in Istanbul during the holidays, passing through Istiklal on your way to meet up with friends for a drink, or do some last minute New Year's shopping, why not try your luck at the jolly grand prize!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment